SUMMER 2017 DATES COMING SOON!!
Join us on Toronto’s Centre Island for this hands-on outdoor photography workshop that focuses on getting great results for a number of photographic subjects. As we walk from location to location we’ll share techniques and tips you can apply when shooting outdoor portraits, close-ups, abstract photos and night photography. Our workshop will culminate with the capturing of Toronto’s iconic city skyline as the sun sets and as the city’s colourful lights begin to shine over Lake Ontario.
Camera 101 class or equivalent knowledge
- Camera Orientation: Modes & features you’ll need for the day.
- Outdoor Portraits: Understanding and putting to use the elements which together make a better outdoor portrait, including: assessing & working with light, camera settings, lens choice & perspective, and posing tips.
- Garden Close Ups: What can be done with light, perspective, and exposure control to make close-up photos of flowers and other garden features more impactful.
- Abstracts: Discovering and putting to use tips and techniques that make for more interesting compositions using the details, shapes, patterns and textures found in everyday, ordinary objects.
- Toronto’s City Skyline at Sunset and Twilight: Using the tools and techniques to best capture Toronto’s iconic skyline as the evening progresses from sunset to the ‘blue hour’ of twilight. We’ll also look at capturing the skyline in pieces for the purpose of making a single high resolution, ultra-wide panoramic photo.
Who Should Attend?
Intermediate level owners of interchangeable lens cameras (DLSR or mirrorless) who are looking to increase their knowledge and improve their skills at outdoor portraiture, close-ups, abstracts, and night time photography. Fundamental camera techniques including: controlling focus, frame advance & self timer options, image playback and menu navigation should already be familiar. Awareness of semi-auto camera modes (shutter & aperture priority), exposure compensation, white balance and ISO control are also an asset.
What To Bring To Class:
- Fully charged battery + extra battery
- Memory cards
- Lenses: 24mm-135mm (or equivalent) range coverage***
- Tripod (full size)
*** Henry's Rentals: Wish you had a special lens or camera body for this event?
Check: www.henrys.com/rentals for equipment selection and more information.
Clothing & Other:
- Light jacket (appropriate for an evening by the lake)
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Bug repellant
- Small flashlight
- Snack (ex: energy bar)
- Water bottle
MEETING LOCATION INFO:
The meeting point for this outdoor workshop will be on the island (Toronto’s Centre Island). Please see your post-registration route map & info document for details. Note: Participants are responsible for island ferry and any other transportation fees.
ADVERSE WEATHER / RAIN POLICY:
This outdoor workshop is best experienced in partly sunny (or better) weather conditions. In the event of complete cloud cover, rain or other adverse weather conditions, students will be contacted no later than two (2) hours before the scheduled start time. Please check your email and phone messages for details about a potential cancellation before heading out to the workshop location.
Cancellation Due to Weather:
- Prior to class start time: Customers will be given the option to rebook or receive a refund their registration.
- After class start time up until half way through: Customers we be offered to rebook to the next available date.
- After half away through the class: Rebooking or refunds will not be available if more than half of the allotted time for the class has passed.