Once you've completed Photo 101: 5 Weeks, you may wish to continue your photography learning journey with us by attending our Photo 201 course.
Our Photo 201 course is an immersive, fulfilling program that addresses three (3) primary objectives for students:
1) Achieving a complete understanding of photo exposure (for ultimate image control);
2) How to get the best results in scenarios that always cause issues without your intervention.
3) Knowing when and how to use your camera's full Manual shooting mode for consistent exposure results, shot-to-shot in any given scene and for obtaining those seemingly 'impossible' creative photographs.
As with our Photo 101 course, we provide a rich learning environment where you can practice what you learn as the class unfolds. Through a mix of hands-on classroom learning, simple homework activities and a final class field trip, you’ll be on your way to crafting photographs that you couldn't achieve before.
This course begins with a short review of key concepts covered in our Photo 101 course (creative controls and other key settings). From there, we'll demystify and explore how image exposure works - how its variables (shutter speed, aperture and ISO) work together - not only for achieving the proper brightness in our photos, but also for the creative effects we're after. In addition to seeing these bits & pieces being controlled in semi-automatic fashion, we'll also experience the ultimate reward in using our camera's full Manual mode, with which we'll be able to craft the types of photos which can't be made as effectively any other way, including: panoramic photographs, long exposure night (and day) photography, painting with light creative imagery, fireworks, and a great deal more.
Additional topics we'll also explore along the way include: how to utilize your camera's ISO control and metering modes to achieve success in scenarios where your camera normally struggles; and how to balance natural ambient light with camera flash to produce better, more natural looking results.
This course runs for five sessions consisting of two hours each.
Photo 101: 5 Weeks or Equivalent Knowledge (Camera 101 and Camera 201 classes)
- Gain a full understanding of the fundamentals of exposure (ISO, aperture, shutter speed);
- Observe how your camera strives towards creative ‘balanced’ exposures through the use of semi-automatic modes, vital to understanding Manual mode;
- Take control of exposure on your own, utilizing the exposure language of ‘stops’;
- Learn how to solve exposure related problems of scenes where lighting is not optimal, to get outstanding results via your cameras metering modes;
- Study advanced flash, including on and off-camera, bounce, and modified use;
- Explore concepts vital to long exposure photography, use of tripods and ND filters;
- See how to ‘break the rules’ with creative exposure concepts such as painting with light;
- Practice these concepts through in-class activities,light homework assignments and the final class field trip.
Who Should Attend?
Individuals who wish to take their photography skills to the highest level by exploring and taking control of exposure and manual mode for ultimate creativity. Familiarity with aperture and shutter priority modes strongly recommended (as covered in our ‘Photo 101: 5 week’ class).
What To Bring To Class:
- DSLR or 'mirrorless' interchangeable lens camera
- Charged battery and memory card
- Tripod (weeks 3, 4 and 5)
- Notebook and pen