Learning to take better portraits involves four basic objectives: understanding lighting equipment, its proper operation, lighting techniques and effective posing. In this course you'll experience portrait photography from all perspectives: the photographer's, the assistant's, the model's and the observer's. We'll build various lighting setups, beginning with one light and building up to four, showing you the different results each set up gives. We'll also show you a number of effective posing techniques for both male and female subjects.
Although this course is all about portraits, much of the technical and lighting knowledge can also be applied to other types of photography, such as outdoor portraiture, product and still life photography.
Level 200 course or equivalent knowledge
- Essential camera features, lenses & other helpful gadgets
- Lights and how they're connected to & triggered by your camera
- Using a hand-held light meter & why
- Improving the quality of your light with light modifiers
- Strategic placement of lights
- Effective posing techniques
Who Should Attend?
Individuals who are looking to take the first step towards creating inspiring indoor portraits by using studio lights.
What To Bring To Class:
- Your camera and lens
- Charged battery
- Memory card
- Telephoto lens (70mm or higher)
- Hand-held light meter
Our Portrait Lighting Course course requires that you have knowledge of topics that are covered in our Level 200 Photo Courses.